Friday, July 7, 2017

proprietary code and data -- interacting with commercial projects

There are two aspects to a project like the Physics Derivation Graph that could be proprietary: the data, and the software which manipulates the data.

One motivation for protecting these aspects of a project are to make money. I'm not seeking money.
Another motivation for protection is to ensure citation when the project is used. I apply the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License to the Physics Derivation Graph project.

I want to enable other people, including commercial efforts, to benefit from use of both the data and software I create. I also share the syntax of the data format so that future contributions from others can adhere to the data I already have. A published syntax standard also enables writing parsers for translation of the data format.

No comments:

Post a Comment